Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Skippy Jon Jones Class Action

Skippy Jon Jones Class Action
Written and Illustrated by Judy Schachner
Dutton Children’s Books, 2012
31 pages
Picture Book
          I chose this book because I wanted to explore the activities that might go with it since it is popular with my practicum students.  In this book our little kitten, Skippy Jon Jones, is in a predicament.  He really wants to go to school.  However, school is for dogs, and he just happens to be a cat. 
His mother is desperately trying to convince him that he doesn't want to go to school because the dogs are awful.  Unfortunately for her, the more she tries to talk him out of going to school the more Skippy really wants to go to school.  Skippy wishes he was a Chihuahua instead of a Siamese Cat.  He uses his imagination and goes into his closet to have the chance to go to school.
          The illustrations in this book are done in acrylics and pen and ink.  They are drawn onto Aquarelle Arches water color paper.  There is not really any negative space in this book and the color scheme is varied depending on Skippy’s mood.  The artwork is painted in a very textured pattern.  The text is informal and sometimes very informal.  This adds to the mood of the book.

          I would use this book for elementary students in kindergarten through third grade.  For the kindergartners I would use this book as a first day of school activity. Or a way to discuss how coming to school is a privilege.  For some of the older students, I would use this book to introduce narrative writing.  This book would also work for a word work lesson on adjectives or expanding vocabulary.  There are no awards for this book at this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment