Title: Cinderella
Author: Charles Perrault
Illustrator: Loek Koopmans
Publishing company:
North-South books
Copyright date: 2002
Number of pages: 32
genre: traditional
genre: traditional
I chose this book because I was looking
for an original version of the Cinderella story for my niece. She is very fascinated by fairy tales and
princesses. This is the story of a young
girl’s father that becomes so enchanted by his love for his new wife that he
forgets about the needs of his daughter.
As a result of his neglect, she is forced into servitude to her
stepmother and sisters. She ends up
finding love and being freed from her family’s treachery with the help of a
fairy godmother. This story sounds
familiar, but it is a little bit different than the classical Cinderella movie
that we all grew up watching.
The illustrations in this book are done
with oil painting. The illustrations are
beautiful and very descriptive. There is
little or no negative space on the pages.
Additionally, the text type used in the majority of this book is
informal. The words are placed directly
over the pictures. The illustrations definitely
help to tell the story and allow the reader to feel the story as it occurs.
I would recommend this book for any person
that really likes princess stories or romantic love stories. I am not a real big fan of the whole hopeless
romantic idealism, but a lot of people are drawn to these types of books. Any little girl would love the princess
aspect of this book. This book can be
used to teach students the differences between stories. For example, it would work for a compare and
contrast of similarities and differences between the different kinds of Cinderella
stories. I would use this book to talk about the differences
in other countries cultures during a social studies unit. I might even use this book to bring up how
stories change the more they are told.
As far as I know this book does not have any awards.

No comments:
Post a Comment