Title: Raven: A trickster tale from the pacific northwest
Author: Gerald McDermott
Illustrator: Gerald
McDermott
Publishing company:
Harcourt Brace Publishers
Copyright date: 1993
Number of pages: 32
Genre: traditional
Genre: traditional
I chose this book because I was looking
for books that would represent a trickster tale. I was looking for a good example to help me
explain what a ‘trickster’ tale was to my children. This book was given to me as an addition to
my library. I really like this
story. This book is about a raven that
steals the sun and gives it to all the people to be enjoyed. Until this day, the people had lived in
darkness. This story has been passed
down through the generations.
This book uses watercolors for the majority of
the pictures. This book also employs the
use of pastels, and colored pencils. The
pages are void of any negative space at all.
Each page has a picture that helps to tell the story. The type of text placement this book uses is
informal. The words are placed directly
over a picture. The pictures are done
using images that are traditional of the tribe the story represents.
This story would be appropriate for any readers
who wish to learn about Native American folklore. I would say it would work best for a social
studies unit in third or fourth grade. I
would use this to demonstrate different writing styles, or to bring about a
class discussion about folk tales. I
might use this in a science unit to start a unit on the sun. This book has been awarded the Caldecott
honor award.

No comments:
Post a Comment