Title: Two Bad Boys
A Very Old Cherokee Tale
Author: Gail E. Haley
Illustrator: Gail E. Haley
Publishing company: Dutton
Children’s Books
Copyright date: 1996
Number of pages: 28
Genre: traditional
Genre: traditional
I chose this story because it is a
Cherokee tale. I am part Cherokee Indian
and always find it interesting when I am able to find stories from that
culture. I was looking for a traditional
tale that was clearly handed down through the generations. This story fit the bill perfectly. It is the Cherokee version of the story of
Eden. Two little boys, one good and one
bad, are getting themselves into all kinds of mischief. Their trouble ends up making the whole world
have to work harder for their food.
The
illustrations in this book are done in a sinewy gouache style. The colors are both vibrant and cool
depending on what is happening in the story.
The text type is informal and placed strategically throughout the
story. The words draw the reader’s eye
to the part of the picture that may be important. Many of the lines in these illustrations are
textured and give the look and feel of roughness or fur.
I would recommend this book most for
third through sixth grade. It does touch
a little on what may be a touchy subject to some people; the original sin and
the Garden of Eden. I think that his
would be a great book to use to introduce students to new cultures. It could also be used to get students exploring
Native American tales. I might even use
this book to compare and contrast the beliefs of the origins of man on earth,
with the older students, of course. This
book could be used during a science lesson on how hard work makes things grow. This book has no awards at this time.

No comments:
Post a Comment