Title: Dinner
with Dracula A Spine Tingling Collection of Frighteningly Funny Poems
Author:
Edited by-Bruce Lanksy (various authors)
Illustrator: Mike and Carol Gordon
Publishing company: Meadowbrook creations
Copyright date: 2006
Number of pages: 32
genre: poetry
genre: poetry
I chose this book because
it has a Halloween themed cover; I was looking for poetry books to add to my
son’s book collection. I wanted to try
and find some poetry that would interest my nephew. He likes guts and gory stuff and pretty much
anything monsters. When I saw the title
and looked at some of the poems inside I knew this would be perfect for both
boys. The poems in this book are an
assortment of funny and or rhyming poems.
They are all centrally themed; that theme being, of course, monsters or
ghosts and make believe. It is meant to
be cute and funny, thus, easily enjoyed.
The
artwork in this poetry anthology is done in watercolor paints. The colors are light and his dark depending
on the poem; both the colors and the artwork coincide with the theme of the poem
they surround. The pictures versus words
arrangement is set up like in a formal pattern on some pages. However, it is an informal pattern on some of
the pages containing longer poems.
I
believe this book could be appropriate for students who are just being
introduced to poetry. Although, readers
of any age would enjoy the humorous rhymes and quips. I would use this book as an easy way to
introduce rhyming and poetry in the classroom.
It would be a cute way to introduce a unit about Halloween or maybe a
fun way to introduce the history of beliefs about certain legends. This book could also be used to introduce a
study of the fiction genre. It would
even work as a cute introduction to a history lesson. This book has received no awards at this
time.

No comments:
Post a Comment